- Pressley, 45, shared her story in a video published by The Root on Thursday
- The Democratic congresswoman from Massachusetts showed off her bald head publicly for the first time in the clip, revealing she suffers from alopecia
- Pressley said the ‘last little bit’ of her hair fell out the day before the House of Representatives voted to impeach President Donald Trump last month
- The politician explained that she went public with her story because she felt like she ‘owed’ an explanation to all the girls who admire her signature braids
- Although it’s ‘very early’ in her journey, Pressley said she is ‘making peace with having alopecia’
U.S. Rep. Ayanna Pressley of Massachusetts has publicly revealed for the first time that she is bald and suffering from the condition alopecia, which caused her to lose all of her hair over the course of just a few months.
The 45-year-old Democratic congresswoman shared her story in a powerful video published by The Root on Thursday, explaining that up until that point, she had only taken off her wig in the privacy of her own home and with close friends.
‘I am making peace with having alopecia,’ she said as she showed off her bald head. ‘I have not arrived there. I am very early in my alopecia journey. But I’m making progress every day and that’s why I’m doing this today. It’s about self-agency. It’s about power. It’s about acceptance.’